Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Have a Little Faith

Jacob Hornberger says: 
“The response of hospitals to the Las Vegas massacre confirms what I have been saying for the past 28 years of FFF’s existence: that Americans can trust themselves and freedom and get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, and all other governmental involvement in healthcare.”
Who among us hasn’t heard the dramatic claim that any reform to Medicare will push Grandma in her wheelchair off the cliff, and that paring back Medicaid leaves the impoverished without care at all?
Hornberger’s response:
“One big problem with that argument is that it is Medicare, Medicaid, and Obamacare that have sent healthcare costs soaring through the roof. Prior to the enactment of Medicare and Medicaid, healthcare costs were reasonably priced. In fact, most people didn’t even have major medical insurance. That’s because medical costs were so reasonable, sort of like going to the grocery store. The only medical insurance that people bought was to cover catastrophic illnesses.
The reason we have Obamacare is because Medicare and Medicaid sent healthcare cost soaring through the roof. The reason that statists are called for a complete government takeover of healthcare is because Obamacare has only made the situation worse.”
The article gives real world pre-Medicaid-era examples of how free markets and charity worked to provide quality care to those able to pay and those not, while at the same time providing doctors a salary commensurate for the services they provide and the joy of the profession they pursued. 
So what then is the answer to our “healthcare crisis?”  I agree with Hornseberger.
“The solution is: Repeal Medicare, Medicaid, and Obamacare. End all governmental involvement in healthcare. Separate healthcare and the state. Establish a total free-market healthcare system, one based on economic liberty and voluntary charity.”
How do I know this would work?
“It’s called faith in the free market and in voluntary charity. I can’t prove that everyone would do it. I simply have no doubts that enough doctors and hospitals would do it.”

The example in Las Vegas is a strong argument in favor of getting the government completely out of healthcare. We need more faith that people will work to help others.

1 comment:

  1. Healthcare is also more expensive because people have given up their own relationships to their own body, to doctors. I went to a doctor because I thought I might have had a tick bite which produced an patch of red skin and then hives, The doctor said- no you do not have hives you have shingles and prescribed two prescriptions which cost about 450.00. I do not take medication so I do not have drug coverage and if I did I would still have to pay because of the premium.That instantly convinced me not to bother with the prescription but it was not the only reason. I did not have a single symptom of shingles! I was developing a rash of bumps that itched. So I looked up hives on line and it said it can be healed with home remedies. It also said one can get them as an allergic reaction to a bug bite. I have no doubt it is hives and not shingles but many people would simply pay the 450.00 for the prescription the doctor ordered- especially if they have the drug plan and have paid the premium- all of which drives up the cost of health care.

    ReplyDelete