Saturday, November 19, 2016

Why I am doing this?



What does that mean?  Why am I doing this?  In short - to use my life experiences to help bridge the divide between my southwest Ohio formative years and my Chicago academic and career pursuits. My aim is to provide synopses of informational articles, offer my own commentary and thereby encourage thoughtful consideration of opposing viewpoints.  While I have wanted to do this for a long time, the election of President-elect Trump (and the resulting angst demonstrated by both “sides”) has been a catalyst in ultimately pulling the trigger.  

For those who don't know me but would like to know the perspective from which I write (because after all we are ALL biased), here goes nothing.

My roots were established in an overwhelmingly conservative area of southwest Ohio.  Reagan lovers are everywhere – we even have Ronald Reagan Highway which routes nearby my high school. Obama supporters are few and far between.  Like many millennials, I left my suburban bubble and went to college.  Most of us know that academia, outside of a very few institutions, means immersing yourself in liberal thoughts, ideas, and culture for four years.  That was certainly my experience at UChicago.  I also now live and work in the liberal bubble that is Chicago. Obama supporters surround me.  Bottom line, I lived and breathed conservative principles for my first 18 years and yet successfully navigated ultra-liberal university and city life for the last five years.  Comically, both Ohio and Chicago people wonder how I did it!

Then came November 9, 2016.  And the fissure between my two “lives” became a crater.  At quick glance, nearly all of my Ohio friends and family were pleased by the results of last week’s election, if not because Trump won, then at least because Clinton did not.  At the same time, friends, teachers, and acquaintances from both the university and the city were devastated by the same results.   I share with them in this disappointment in the state of America but come wholly short of being upset that Clinton is not the President-elect. 

My UChicago friends presume my Ohio friends, many of whom I know voted Trump last Tuesday, are uneducated, racist and/or sexist. I absolutely refute this assumption. My Ohio friends and family are generally well educated and thoughtful.  We went to school and played sports with friends of all races, religions and sexual orientation.  Most of us are not racist, sexist or any other “ist”.  Indeed, even many of the women that have been most successful and inspiring to me were very relieved to see HRC lose this election, not because she’s a woman, but in spite of that fact.

Despite the decidedly liberal leanings of my professors, classmates and teammates in Chicago, I am grateful to have been more broadly exposed to their views.  I also acknowledge the University’s role in forcing me to thoughtfully consider and form my own opinions.  In this spirit, I offer this blog as an attempt to bridge the gap between these two groups and to challenge ALL to see valuable insight from opposing perspectives.  If we can be thoughtful before being reactive, we stand a chance to become united in purpose, unleashing the shackles of binary thinking, and empowering the people to discover new strategies to combat issues in America.


Linked articles and synopses are not necessarily endorsements by me and are offered for purposes of worthy and thoughtful consideration.  However, I caveat that you have read my perspective, so proceed at your own peril (said with a wink and a nod.)

No comments:

Post a Comment